Sunday, March 28, 2010

For Nick






Nick requested that we bring back some pictures of us with students, or of us out on the land. I figured, hey, why not two birds with one stone?

We went ice fishing for cod last Monday afternoon. It was absolutely a blast, the weather was sketchy at first, but gorgeous later on and the kids where totally different people once we got out there. I think they realized that they were orders of magnitude more competent than me and they made sure I was okay. They also convinced me to try Kilk and Bannock... I don't think that's going on the list of things I'll miss about the North when I leave. Caribou and Char, totally, canned meat and fried dough, not so much.

Anyway, the whole afternoon left me thinking, why don't we do stuff like this with our students back home? Maybe not ice fishing, but say a hike in the nearby woods?

1 comment:

  1. Bannock is much better when you add raisins to the dough and cook it over a fire. Try it with honey or jam. Klik is for emergencies only, like when there is absolutely nothing left to eat.

    ReplyDelete