Saturday, March 20, 2010

The 'ol fishin' hole (in the ice)





We went cod fishing at Soper Lake today. Pascale needed some fish to fed her dog team so her, another newbie named Paul (in town to fix some equipment), and two local guys (I forget their names) took some snowmobiles over the hill to the lake. Along the way he stopped to feed Pascale's dogs the remaining cod from last weekend and in the process I lost my mitt. If you're wondering, yes it is cold to have your hand blasted by the wind on a snowmobile at minus 22 wearing only a thin glove liner.

Anyway, we got there and was a gorgeous day. No wind at all and bright sun. We dug two more holes in the snow and ice (the guys were already there and had already dug a hole) and started jigging for cod. Luckily, since there was no wind my hand was plenty warm. A few hours later we had caught around 60 cod (I caught about 10 myself) and we took off. In all, I have to say that there are few ways to spend an afternoon that are finer.

Oh, and if you were wondering, yes I did find my mitt on the way back.

3 comments:

  1. Doug,

    A question. How many fish does a sled dog need to eat each day? I assume it's best if they are satisfied and not looking at team mates as potential snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just one big one, or two small ones. Sometimes hey get extra if they're looking small, or weak, or cold.

    Plus hey get seal meat quite often, the blubber makes it so they hardly notice the cold. They won't even eat it if it's warmer than like -10 out, cause it makes them too warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so plush in the top pic. I just want to wrap my arms around you and squeeze.

    -Mel

    ReplyDelete