Wednesday, March 17, 2010

First Day

Had my first day teaching in Kimmirut today, no pictures, but that's to be expected. I can't be a shutter bug in class.

Teaching up here is very like, and very different than, teaching down south. The basic "stuff" of teaching is the same, there's a classroom with desks and chalkboards, there's photocopying to do and recess duty, there's tired kids in the morning and off the wall kids after gym class. The kids themselves are similar too, they try the work sometimes and couldn't care less at other times. They are friendly at times, and sometimes they're in a bad mood. They chat in class and try to sneak stuff past the teacher.

The details and the overall atmosphere is where it's different. Of course the chatting in class in half in Inuktituit. Everyone goes by their first name, Mr. Wilson is no more. School money conversations talk about hiring snowmobiles for trips to the floe edge. Those are the details, but the atmosphere is what struck me most. The pace is all different. Much slower, but it never seems like time is being wasted, I'd call it slow and steady. There's no hurry up and wait. Schedules are flexible, including when students (and teachers) get to the classroom. You really get the feeling that the school is a team, it's not like the grade 6 teacher doesn't talk shop with the grade 9 teacher.

So, yeah, those are my first impressions. The only thing I'd add is that it just feels right, it fits me somehow. Though that's my impression after just one day, it could change.

No comments:

Post a Comment