Friday, April 2, 2010

Cardboard Toboggan/Kamotik Building






Skills Canada came in to work with all of the grade 7 and up students this Wednesday. The idea was to split into teams and design cardboard sleds, later we would take them down on to the ice and race them with two students pulling and one student sitting in it. Their "ulterior motive" was to drecruit people for the skilled trades, and they brought a trade fair with them. They only had to charter three planes to do it...

In any case, the kids loved it, and while the high school students won one of my grade 7-8 teams came second! Go us! Wait... I shouldn't cheer, since I was one of the two judges, so I must remain impartial.

It was striking how different the kids were when dealing with a practical, hands on project rather than seat work. I can't wait for next week, I have something similar of my own planned that I think they'll love.

No comments:

Post a Comment