Sunday, April 4, 2010

Walking Around Town I
















I've been stuck in town this extra long weekend. My plans were originally to go to my host family's cabin out on one of the islands across the sea ice. That fell through. Then my plan was to hitch a ride for a day out and about with one of the teachers (none were going) or one of the local hunters (no one wanted to take someone so inexperienced in the iffy conditions). Plan C was taking a long hike, but a snow storm stopped that since it takes 10 minutes to go 100m in the deep snow.

Still, I've tried to make the best of it. Hamlet day was on Thursday and yesterday was a beautiful day, warm (but not too warm), sunny and with a fresh coating of snow on everything. So I took two walks, the first was around town. As you can see, this place is beautiful. There's even something to the utilitarian buildings, let alone the land itself. As much as I'm looking forward to going home (and I'm really, really looking forward to that) I'm going to miss the beauty of this place.

3 comments:

  1. That's a great picture of the bear skin. Is there a story to go with it? How often to hunters haul in a polar bear in that area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They get a few tags a year, less than 10 I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so is it like getting a moose license here? Do they have some sort of draw? I imagine if a bear starts bashing on the front door, no one would be too concerned about legalities.

    ReplyDelete